Monthly Archives: April 2018

The Basics of RV Insurance

With so many varied types of recreational vehicles, sometimes a single policy may not handle the different types of RVs (fifth wheels, motorhomes, travel trailers and pop-up campers). Usually, RV insurance may be required depending on the kind of RV you own. Read on to know more basics about this kind of insurance provided by insurers like Colling Insurance Services, Inc. serving the Lakewood, CO area.

RV insurance coverage comes handy for campers and motorhomes. What’s more, RVs come in different sizes and shapes. All vehicles driven on the road must be insured, including motorhomes. Note that there is a minimum liability your state requires for you to drive your RV legally.

Is it required?

Camper and RV liability insurance is needed in every state, including Colorado. The state also requires underinsured and uninsured motorist coverage for the following conditions: 

  • When you buy a camper, travel trailer or RV             
  • If you are living in the RV full-time
  • When you use a rented RV for a vacation
  • When you use the RV part-time

Are you wondering if your auto insurance or homeowners insurance offers enough coverage for your RV? The answer is no. Your camper, travel trailer, or RV requires a separate insurance plan.

What is covered?

RV insurance usually includes the following:

  • Collision –the plan covers losses if you collide with other vehicles (no matter who is at fault) or a stationary object.
  • Liability –this will cover expenses of property damage, bodily injury, and legal cost in case you are at fault.
  • Comprehensive –this policy covers the cost of fire and smoke, collision, lightning hail, flood, animals, theft, windstorm, vandalism as well as overhangs or low branches.

Underinsured and uninsured and motorists –this will cover you, and the passengers should be a person who lacks enough or doesn’t have insurance cause an accident.

Some insurance companies can also provide additional coverages like:

  • Vacation or campsite liability
  • Total loss replacement
  • Attached accessories
  • Towing and roadside
  • Emergency expenses
  • Personal effects

Consult with your Lakewood, CO insurance companies such as Colling Insurance Services, Inc. to get more details regarding your RV coverage options.


Will Motorcycle Insurance Cover My Passengers?

As a motorcycle rider, you may wish to take family, friends or loved ones out for a ride sitting behind you, if your bike allows for it. But one of the questions that we at Colling Insurance Services Inc. serving the greater Lakewood, CO are often asked is whether motorcycle insurance will cover passengers if they are injured while going out for a ride. Read on to find out the answer. 

Will Motorcycle Insurance Cover Passengers?

Motorcycle insurance will cover any passengers that are riding on a motorcycle with you. If the accident is caused by someone else, their insurance will pay the medical expenses before your insurance kicks in, if you surpass the limits of their policy. If you were at fault for the accident, your insurance will pay. 

Why Having the Right Coverage Limits is Important?

Having the right coverage limits is important whether you are riding alone or with a passenger. Having the right coverage limits helps to ensure that your insurance will cover all of the medical expenses in the event of an accident. Having the right coverages helps to ensure that you are covered if an uninsured or under-insured driver hits you, or helps to ensure your coverages are high enough if you are at fault for the accident and you and your passenger sustain many injuries. 

Having the right motorcycle insurance coverage is extremely important. If you have questions about your coverage or want to learn more about whether it is too low, contact Colling Insurance Services Inc. serving the greater Lakewood, CO today. We can sit down with you and help you determine how much covers you need.