In what cases is necessary to get a police report in an home insurance claim?

Making claims on your home insurance policy in Colorado does not always mean that you can avoid making a police report. In some cases, a formal police report is a necessary part of the claims process because the insurer will not always be able to start the claim unless you have told the police about the situation.

Burglary and Theft

In the case of a break-in and theft, you must report the crime to the police and ask for a copy of the report before you turn to your insurance provider for assistance. The claim will not start until you have made a formal report because the insurer cannot guarantee that a crime took place unless you have talked to the police. The report is made after you have made your statement, any other statements are provided and the physical evidence is evaluated if there is any damage to the property.


Vandalism is similar to a burglary because the claim will not start until after you have contacted the police and made a report. Even though your personal belongings may not be stolen, the property can be damaged and may require repairs. The police will make a note of the damages in the report and you can send a copy to your insurer.


Even though a fire does not necessarily need a report from the police since you may have a report from the fire department, if you suspect arson then you may need to file a report.

Damages that are caused by a third party and are not related to an accident will usually require a police report or other formal documentation from authorities before you can make a claim. Contact us to speak to an agent to learn more about your options.