How Much Life Insurance Do I Need?
Regardless, of where you live in the great state of Colorado whether it is the metropolitan city of Colorado Springs or the quaint little town of Bark Ranch, life insurance is something everyone should have.
The amount of life insurance an individual needs depends on several factors including:
- Your funeral costs
- Amount of debt
- Number of surviving immediate family members (spouse and children)
- The age of your children
- Your spouse’s ability to support any children
- Your spouse’s ability to support themselves
- How long it will take your surviving spouse to return to work
- Whether or not you have a large savings, 401K or pension
Everyone’s situation is different, if your single and debt free then the minimum amount of life insurance you should have is enough to cover your funeral costs.
If you’re a a spouse and with children, mortgage, car payments, credit card and other debt then you’re likely going to want a significant amount of life insurance.
The following things will help you determine a rough estimate of how much life insurance you may need.
- Funeral Costs – If you want a simple funeral, according to the Federal Trade Commission it will cost you roughly $3,000 to $7,000.
- How much you owe on your home, cars, credit cards and other debt.
- How many children you have and their ages, if you have young children you’ll want to make sure there is enough money to raise them and possibly even pay for their college education.
- Your spouse’s income and whether or not they can provide a good life and college education for your children on their own income.
Once you sit down and figure out all of the above, you’ll have a much better idea of how much life insurance you need. However, you’re in luck, it’s easy to find the best coverage for your budget by talking to agents with Colling Insurance Services.