Renting An RV? You Need Insurance!

Do you want to get away from it all while still having all the comforts of your Lakewood, CO home? If so, you’re like the millions of Americans each year who take their vacations in a recreational vehicle (RV). Before you set out on the open road, check to make sure you have proper insurance coverage for your RV.

Does My Auto Insurance Cover My Rental RV?

Some insurance companies will issue a certificate of insurance for motor home coverage. If you already have an insurance package with rental car coverage it will cover a recreational vehicle, with an increase of physical damage limits. According to Bert Alanko, chairman of the Recreational Vehicle Renters Association (RVRA), insurers treat recreational vehicles differently than SUVs or passenger cars. Because RVs are an expensive investment, and their potential for extensive physical damage in the event of a collision means that the regular coverage minimums for passenger cars are too low. In addition, often many RVs are operated by people who aren’t used to navigating with the extra size and length, insurers believe they are at more of a risk for accidents. Remember that getting into a minor fender-bender in a recreational vehicle could cost upwards of $5,000, instead of $500 or $600 for a similar accident in a passenger car, and towing is more expensive as well. .

Does My Homeowners Insurance Cover My Rental RV?

While it is true to some degree that your personal property in your motor home is covered under their home insurance policy, typically your home insurance coverage is limited if the property is being kept somewhere other than your Lakewood CO "residence premises," such as in a vehicle. Your auto and homeowners policy may not cover such items as plumbing, appliances or personal accessories. If you don’t have RV insurance, you may have to pay out of pocket for any damage to the vehicle or loss of the contents.

For more information about securing proper RV rental insurance to cover theft, fire, vandalism, natural disasters and collision, talk to Colling Insurance Services, Inc. today. At Colling Insurance Services, Inc., we offer RV-specific insurance policies that will cover your rental RV, its contents and the unique risks specific to motor homes.