If you have ever been in a car accident and ended up totaling the vehicle, then you know how frightening it can be. In order to understand the process of how your auto policy works when vehicle is totaled, you must first have a basic understanding of your policy. Here are some things to know about how your auto insurance policy works when your vehicle is totaled in Lakewood, Colorado.
Your Auto Policy and Your Totaled Vehicle
- Make sure you know what your auto policy states in regards to a totaled vehicle.
- Check to see if you have gap insurance on your vehicle. If you have a loan and the value of the car is lower than the amount of the loan, you will be responsible for the difference in the payout unless you have gap coverage.
- The auto insurance company may need pictures of the car. So be sure to take a few once the police are done reviewing the accident.
- The insurance company will pay out money in the value of what the car is worth. If you have added any special items to the car, make sure to document the changes and inform your car insurance company before the accident happens.
- Once the auto insurance company has paid for the damages the car will belong to them. Make sure to notify where the car has been towed so the company can locate the vehicle when it is time to dispose of the car.
If you have any questions about your auto insurance policy in the Lakewood, Colorado area, then contact us to speak with an independent agent today. It’s important that you give us a call so that we can give you specific details for your circumstances so we can help get the coverage that you need to get back on the road. We are here to help you with all of your insurance needs.